Monday, December 16, 2013

An 8va Above the Rest

It is very seldom that I compose a Scarlequain that is simplistic, but at the same time, so deep that I have trouble putting it into words.  Let me explain.

My semester at Bryan has just come to a close.  The last week was spent stressing my brains out, losing sleep, and crying harder than I have in years due to some of my closest friends parting ways with me.  When these hard times hit, it is a normal thing for me to write some form of self-motivation on my left wrist - just to sorta remind myself to be thankful, keep pushing, or stay sane, and the one that kept making its way on to my skin was simply "8va."

Now to those of you who aren't as musically interested as others who read this blog, 8va means, "to play one octave higher" than the notated material.  For those of you who still have no idea what that means, Google it.  You'll learn something.  Even if you do understand, you have to be a trumpet player to know the significance of playing something up the octave.  8va is the prize at the end of the rainbow.  It is the ultimate achievement.  It is a sign of manly awesomeness that cannot be gained in any other manner.

The problem with taking something up the octave is that it is extremely risky.  You see, the higher one goes up the trumpet's range, the more difficult the notes become to form, and the more likely you are to sound awful.  But then...if you hit it...

The culmination of all things perfect.

So, why did I write this on my wrist?  Still seems pretty nerdy...

Glad you asked.

8va is something every trumpet player will be attempting all of his/her life.  And it is something in which even a pro experiences a level of uncertainty.  Anyone can crack an 8va, no matter how many hours of practice.  But we never stop trying.  We never step down from an 8va, even if we're exhausted.  Because taking something down is a jab to our pride...to our honor.  It is something anyone can do at any time.

I suppose it may be a silly comparison, but I tried to apply that same attitude to my life during the last few weeks.  What if I approached everything I did...friendships with people leaving, my school, my spiritual life...with the same attitude that I do an 8va?  I know I wouldn't hit it all the time.  I know it's even more difficult when I'm exhausted...but when I do hit it...when it really sails up there, high and brilliant...it's worth it.  And when that attitude affects other people, when the pride disappears and all that's left is the drive to be an 8va above the people around who are just playing just to play, that's when the music...when Life...really sings.


My little sister, in my honor.  The drive that affects others.




Bright and high,
Heartsails fly,
Set above the rest,
Risk; greatness; test:
8va.

No comments:

Post a Comment