Monday, August 17, 2015

Unbounded by Words

Dearest reader,

I have said time and again, to you specifically, that the happiest things in life are unbounded by words: specifically mine.  So it happens that I am putting virtual ink-to-page for your enjoyment two weeks and two days after the most joyous day of my life.  I am sitting in my wingback armchair listening to Brahms, and watching my lovely bride read a book on philosophy on my right.  I don’t have much more to say in this respect, not because I am indifferent; rather, I am, to be sure, one of the happiest men alive at the present moment.

I find that being married has occupied my mind in ways that have diverted my attention from my inspiration as no other.  Or perhaps I should say, it has changed the form of my inspiration for the time being.  In the last few days I have been divulging my lunch-hour to Rilke, Bastiat, and Fitzgerald, and so it happens that my Scarlequain is merely simmering in the rear of my mind.  Like the Music, my poetry is always present in the recesses of my cognizance, but as of late it has resigned itself to an ironic:

Crawling, parched
Month-long march.
Dry and barren,
Take me, Charon:
Silent Muse.

And while I in no way feel that the Ferry Man of Hades is pulling my inspirational muse to hell by his boney grasp, I am well aware of my tenure in the desert of noninspiration, if I may coin a rather unoriginal term.

My job has felt new and daunting to me for some time now, until, as it happened, an employee newer than I asked helplessly for directions on a simple task.  “I told [her].  And as I walked on I was lonely no longer.  I was a guide, a pathfinder, an original settler.  [S]he had casually conferred on me the freedom of the neighborhood,” which was, in this case, my workplace.  Ah, Fitzgerald.  Even in the third or fourth read-through (honestly, who is counting?), Gatsby still fails to disappoint.

I have also been spending time reading The Poet’s Guide to Life: The Wisdom of Rilke in my spare time, and if you know anything about me you’ll know I cling to every word this literary giant saw fit to pen.  As it turns out, Rilke hand-wrote thousands of letters during his lifetime – mostly as a distraction from his “work” – poetry writing.  I stumbled across a passage where Rilke describes these letters, on all topics and to all demographics, as an escape from the desert of noninspiration.  An oasis, if you will.  Indeed, it has often been said that Rilke has done more good for the literary community through his letters than he did through his poetry.  I daresay Rilke was beginning to suspect the same as he approached his final stroll towards Charon’s ferry-house, as he gave permission for them all to be published.  At any rate, it made me smile, because I realized there is no ear more open than the blank page intended for some distant recipient.

And so, dear reader, this is where I bid you farewell for the time being.  This is where I take my last sip at the oasis and hope with a smile that the desert ends just over that hill.  For, you are my open ear: my addressee that gives my poetic halt a respite.  I sincerely wish that I, like Rilke to me, have conveyed some measure of hope and happiness to your daily walk.


May the sand quickly leave your shoes.

2 comments:

  1. I am enthralled. Keep writing...and remember, "all who wander are not lost". This was inscribed by a dear friend on a quilt square, one of many for a goodbye quilt given to Gary and me when we first married and left Flagstaff for Oregon. Still have it on our bed :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am enthralled. Keep writing...and remember, "all who wander are not lost". This was inscribed by a dear friend on a quilt square, one of many for a goodbye quilt given to Gary and me when we first married and left Flagstaff for Oregon. Still have it on our bed :-)

    ReplyDelete