Monday, April 7, 2014

First Word Incantation

I find myself in the early mornings (in my sub-conscious state; I'm not a morning person) thinking very little, and saying the same.  As a rule I wake up at least 30 minutes earlier than my roommate on any given day, and as such I don't say anything.  In fact, since he isn't a morning person either, we rarely say anything to each other anyway if we're both awake at the same time.

We still love each other though.

At any rate, one of the random thoughts that tend to cross my mind during those hours is this: what were the first words I said yesterday?  What are the first words I'm going to say today?  I often wonder how much power or sway those first words spoken hold over the rest of our day.  People speak of "waking up on the wrong side of the bed," and I do think that sometimes we just wake up in a poor mood (bad dreams, stress, too much work, whatever), but sometimes the words we utter affect us more than those random circumstances.

Fair enough, right?

Yup.

What if you accidentally say something without thinking?  What if you want your first words to be positive ones, but someone starts talking to you about rain, or a bad grade or something?  And you simply respond "sadly" or "bummer" or "that's just awful"?   Kinda puts a bad vibe on the day, from my perspective.

First word of the day,
Holds power and sway?
Hello Monday,
Dreary and grey:
Sadly.

Superstitious sounding?  Maybe.  But the potential energy we have as humans (decisions to be made, directions to be walked, certain people to smile at) is ridiculous.  Perhaps even those first words hold some potential energy?

So...think about those words.  How will they shape your day?  I think I'm struggling to shape mine now.

Sadly.

1 comment:

  1. I like this quite a lot... I think about the power (or sometimes lack of) my words might hold often, though I've never stopped to think about how the first words of the day might set the tone for the rest... Good thoughts, friend!

    ReplyDelete