Wednesday, April 8, 2015

For the 15

I don't have much to say this time around.  I've been going through the motions of preparing for a senior recital, and I've been going through the motions of finishing the last few classes I need to graduate, even though Biology has nothing to do with either politics or music performance.

The truth is, I ache.  I ache in a deep way that only a few people in this school can understand - or choose to understand.  Music people, Biology people, Comm people, Psych people, Bible people...there are a few people in nearly every friend group, major, and class who understand what I'm getting at.  Should we just roll over and say "Oh well?"  I thought that's what we should do last semester, until one of my dear friends and favorite professors fell out of my life, just like so many others have this past year.  There's not much we really can do.  So I'll just sit over here in my corner of the Den and make some noise.  I know I'm not alone.

Afraid, cowering in plain sight,
Hiding from ethereal unknowns.
Previously our pride, but like
a lion shorn, our colors worn
Now become our shame.
Friends, mentors, melt away like
spirits, the young forgetting who
Once led our vivacious pack.
Those men with manes targeted,
Made mediocre in a moment by
the will of an iron pen.

The convenience of hypocrisy,
The death of justice at the hands
of a mere formality enrage
Those left behind – gold memories
Stained Red.

We few hide defiantly in
the shadows of our Den,
barring our teeth at the bones
thrown to us from the poachers’ table.
Some are dragged away for show,
and eventually we all jump through their
hoops, kings made stooges.
Would that there were Prides left to
laugh at our Circus, but extinction
breeds nothing but an audience riveted to
this momentary drama.

I count down the days until this collar of
chain rusts away – Time its only key.
My mane once shorn surfaces again,
Teasing and tantalizing, tempting me
with new life.
A choice remains, for the 15:
Do we keep our collar, fondly recalling
Our might being smothered into nothing
larger than a house cat? Or
shall we leap through our last hoop,
roaring in contempt at the Board that
holds the remains of our rusted chain?

Suddenly a snap!  Sally forth or
sit in silence.  I ask no pardon
for my

Roar.

No comments:

Post a Comment