Friday, November 15, 2013

Simple Harmonies

I feel very safe here.  It is as if this building is a safe haven from all the cares and worries and struggles we encounter on a day to day basis.  There is the soft drizzle of rain gently tapping on the roof and windows, Norah is crooning to me in the background, and I have finished my homework for the day.  My best friend sits on the couch beside me, and I marvel at the simplistically profound beauty that is all around me.

It has been a difficult week for both of us: papers, homework, practice sessions, life choices...you name it, we've probably been there.  And upon getting out of my last class for the week, I decided we needed some quality time at the local coffeehouse, owned by John Piatt, a man about whom I could write books.  He is quirky beyond all reason (something that attracts me to people instantly), and is always willing to share advice about life, the finer qualities of a stellar barista (he would use those words), and things he has recently discovered on his own spiritual journey towards Christ.


Today, John asked us a simple question: What if we could feel the satisfaction we experience at the commencement of the weekend...all the time?  What if we went about our lives experiencing and physically manifesting to others the satisfaction I'm feeling right now, having completed a week of work and looking forward to the next few days of rest?  What if we daily lived in light of who are as a part of the Imago Dei?

I feel very safe here.  Reading my P.G. Wodehouse, writing poetry, and basking in the warmth of the simplistically profound beauty that is all around me.

Deep advice,
Chase away, Vice,
Melt in the Rain,
Simple beauty plain,
Harmony House.


2 comments:

  1. I love John Piatt... always full of wisdom.
    Also, I approve of your choice of reading. Its been ages since I've picked up a Wodehouse book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today was the first day since summer I've been able to read fiction, let alone Wodehouse. It was extremely relaxing.

    ReplyDelete